Here’s my conversation with Swarthmore psychology professor Barry Schwartz, author of “Why We Work.” Turns out that the answer isn’t as easy as “to make money.” We talked about people he has spoken with in all sorts of professions, from teachers to hospital janitors. Among the questions I asked him:
- What percentage of people enjoy or are fulfilled by work?
- Has the way we’re treated by management changed?
- Are white collar people happier on the job than blue collar workers?
- How does the US compare to rest of the world in job satisfaction?
- Is there a higher rate of job satisfaction at companies like Google that spend time designing a better workplace?
- What about people whose work day never ends because they’re always available by phone, e-mail, etc.?
Listen, then click here to subscribe to these podcasts via iTunes!