Here’s my conversation with Becky Aikman about her book, “Off The Cliff: How the Making of Thelma and Louise Drove Hollywood to the Edge.” Among the topics we discussed:
- Which actresses were considered before Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis got the lead roles?
- How rare was it for a movie to star two female leads in the late 80s/early 90s?
- Was Callie Khouri — a rookie writer who won an Oscar for her screenplay — happy with the movie?
- Did studios try to talk her out of the drive-off-the-cliff ending?
- Is it true the sex scene between Geena Davis and Brad Pitt was much steamier than we got to see?
- Why was the movie so poorly marketed when it was released?
- What was the reaction when it was released, from public and reviewers?
- Did “Thelma and Louise” change anything in Hollywood?
Listen, then click here to subscribe to these podcasts via iTunes!