Noah Isenberg has written “We’ll Always Have Casablanca,” to mark the 75th anniversary of one of the most beloved movies of all time. On my show, we discussed:
- Were Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman the original choices for Rick and Ilsa?
- Whether movie censors objected to the subplot about Captain Renault and young women;
- How this movie about refugees included dozens of refugees in the cast;
- The “Marseillaise” scene with Yvonne singing as tears stream down her cheek;
- Peter Lorre prank on director Michael Curtiz;
- The two attempts to turn the movie into TV series — and a Broadway musical version!