To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the debut of one of the all-time great sitcoms, I invited an expert to talk about it today — Vince Waldron, author of “The Official Dick Van Dyke Show Book,” which he has updated and revised for the occasion.
Included in our discussion:
- How the show was rescued after bad ratings in its first season;
- Why the network objected to Mary Tyler Moore’s capri pants;
- What happened to the walnuts;
- The story behind the episode the cast agrees was their worst;
- The lyrics that were never heard to the show’s theme song;
- How the iconic title sequence with Dick tripping over the ottoman wasn’t the original.
Listen, then click here to subscribe to these podcasts via iTunes!