Here’s my conversation with Jason Zinoman about his book, “Letterman: The Last Giant Of Late Night.” Among the topics we discussed:
- Whether it was harder to convince David Letterman to sit down for interviews or his former showrunner/girlfriend Merrill Markoe to share her diary;
- Letterman’s three distinct creative eras at NBC, and why the CBS years were so different;
- Letterman’s withdrawal from his staff over the years, and then from the show;
- How Letterman began the era of no surprises on late night talk shows;
- The one word that described David Letterman’s mindset through most of his TV run;
- The contributions of director Hal Gurnee.